Still, New York’s many subway commuters found the tabloid format simpler to handle, and readership steadily grew. By the time of the paper’s first anniversary in June 1920, circulation had climbed over 100,000 and by 1925, over a million. Circulation reached its peak in 1947, at 2.four million day by day and four.7 million on Sunday.
From 1929 to 1995, the Daily News was based within the landmark skyscraper at 220 East forty second Street close to Second Avenue, designed by John Mead Howells and Raymond Hood. The paper moved to 450 West 33rd Street in 1995, but the forty second Street location continues to be often known as The News Building and still features a large globe and climate instruments in its foyer. (It was the mannequin for the Daily Planet building of the first two Superman movies).